Why it took me so long to try making homemade granola, I have no idea. It’s truly the easiest thing to make, and makes a great healthy snack, or a crunchy topper for yogurt parfaits or smoothie bowls. It can easily be made in large batches and stored in your pantry. I haven’t tested how long it lasts, but I imagine it would be much longer than I’ll ever allow it to be in my pantry because it is ADDICTING. I just made a very simple granola this time, but it is one of those things that you could tweak to your personal preference. Add whatever nuts, dried fruits, nut butters, and seasonings you like! Here is my recipe for my first attempt. Let me know what your favourite things to add into granola are!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300º F
- Mix together dry ingredients (oats, coconut, nuts, cinnamon, and salt)
- In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil, ¼ cup maple syrup, and vanilla. If coconut oil is in solid form, warm it in the microwave until melted, and stir ingredients until smooth.
- Pour liquids into the dry ingredients, and mix until oats are fully coated.
- Spread mixture onto a baking sheet covered with a reusable baking mat, pressing slightly.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tbsp maple syrup on top of the mixture. This will help with making larger clusters of granola once it is baked!
- Bake for 30 minutes, and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a spatula or spoon to break apart, and store in a container.
I made a delish yogurt parfait using Riviera Vanilla Coconut Yogurt (my fav brand of vegan yogurt), and topped with berries, bananas, and granola!