Summer might be almost over, and I might already be mentally in fall-mode, but the heat seems to be here to stay for awhile. Patio season is not over yet, my friends! And what’s better than mixing your own cocktails to enjoy in the sun, from the comfort of your home??
Watermelon has to be one of my favourite summer fruits – it’s super refreshing and its the perfect level of sweetness. All summer, I’ve been loving the combination of mint and fruit, whether its in an infused water, cocktail, or salad. I’ve been growing a little vegetable and herb garden this summer, so in this cocktail I thought I would try using something different – basil, one of my favourite herbs.
The flavours all went together so well – these were so delicious and thirst-quenching on one of the hottest days of the summer! Check out the recipe below!
Watermelon Basil Margarita
- 1¾ ounce tequila
- ¼ ounce triple sec
- 1 cup watermelon, cubed (2oz of juice when blended)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3-5 basil leaves
- 1 cup ice
- Garnish: salt rim, lime wheel, additional basil leaves
- Blend watermelon to a puree, and use a fine strainer to separate the juice from the pulp. (*optional: use watermelon puree with pulp)
- In a cocktail shaker, add watermelon juice, along with all other ingredients (except for the garnish) and shake for about 10 seconds.
- Rim a glass with sea salt (*optional: mix lemon or lime zest with salt before rimming)
- Strain into a glass of ice, or simply pour entire contents of shaker into an empty glass.
- Garnish with lime and basil leaves, and enjoy!
Happy last days of summer!