We’re jumping right into pumpkin spice season! The air is crisp, the leaves are changing, and the smell of pumpkin spice is everywhere. As a farewell to summer, I thought it would be fun to combine the most famous flavour of fall with the most iconic summer treat – the s’more. Truly two of life’s greatest blessings. I was feeling nostalgic about summer the other night, as I was enjoying what was likely one of the last warm evenings sitting outside on my balcony, and I suddenly had an intense craving for a s’more. The crunchy graham wafer, the melty chocolate, and the gooey marshmallow – I mean come ON. So when thinking of recipes for the week, it only made sense to honour this classic treat as I make my transition into fall baking!
Made with pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spice, these cookies have the traditional fall flavour that we all know and love. And on top of that, each bite has a little chocolatey, marshmallowy surprise. If you’re like me and you like your cookies more on the underdone side, they are perfectly melt-in-your-mouth soft. But bake a little longer, and they are the perfect crunchy cookie that would be best friends with a cup of coffee. However you like to enjoy your cookies, these will make you feel both nostalgic about summer and excited for all of the pumpkin goodness that is to come!
Pumpkin Spiced S’mores Cookies
vegan • dairy-free • nut-free • oil-free
Yeilds: 18-20 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus 30 minutes chill time)
Bake time: 13-17 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- ½ cup Dandies mini vegan marshmallows
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla extract and pumpkin puree, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Add into bowl of wet ingredients, and stir together until a dough is formed.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and vegan marshmallows. If mini marshmallows are not available, cut large marshmallows into chunks of a similar size.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes (this helps create a more chewy texture).
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment, or even better, a reusable baking mat. Form balls of dough (roughly golf-ball sized), ensuring that each ball has at least 1 marshmallow! Spread on the baking sheet, and gently press down on each cookie to flatten. Bake for 13-17 minutes, until edges begin to feel firm. Note that the cookies will not change colour much when baked, as the dough itself is a golden brown colour. Don’t wait for them to turn much darker or they may become over-baked!
- Let cookies cool on a cooling rack, and enjoy!