Finding a muffin that’s equally healthy and delicious is a difficult task. Now, make it gluten free, and that just adds a whole new level of difficulty. While I have been working on it, I’m definitely no expert when it comes to gluten free baking. Each flour has a different texture and works best with different ingredients. Veryyy complicated stuff.
Apple cinnamon has always been one of my favourite flavour combinations. It’s sweet and spicy and so cozy. To spice it up even more, I thought I’d give this recipe a little kick of chai, one of my favourite kinds of tea! Made with chai tea bags steeped in non dairy milk, these muffins have all of the cozy flavours of fall you could ask for. They go perfect with a cup of coffee, or even better, a warm cup of chai tea.
I experimented with this recipe a handful of times, using different flours and measurements, trying to find a combination that wasn’t dry or crumbly, and that had the best flavour. I’m happy to say I FINALLY think I nailed this one.
These muffins are moist, fluffy, flavourful , and have the perfect amount of sweetness without tasting like you’re eating cake for breakfast. They’re guilt-free and make the perfect addition to your breakfast, or a healthy snack!
- Regular flour can easily be substituted for gluten free flour with a 1 to 1 ratio.
- I don’t recommend substituting the maple syrup for brown sugar, as I found that the added moisture is needed. However, if you do have to substitute, you may want to add a couple of extra teaspoons of non-dairy milk to your batter for moisture!
- To make this recipe refined-sugar free, omit the brown sugar topping and just give the muffins a sprinkle of cinnamon!
Gluten Free + Vegan Apple Cinnamon Chai Muffins
vegan • gluten free • dairy free • nut free • soy free option •oil free • refined-sugar free option
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time : 16-20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup chai milk (1 cup soy or other non-dairy milk steeped with 3-4 chai tea bags)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 large apple, diced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (for topping)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350º, and lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking oil.
- In a small saucepan, heat non dairy milk over medium-high, and add tea bags. When brought to a boil, turn heat off and let tea steep for at least 5 minutes, or until the chai flavour is strong. Be careful not to over-steep, as black teas can become bitter!
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine apple sauce, vanilla, and maple syrup. When chai milk is done steeping, add it to this bowl of wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until fully mixed into a batter. Stir in diced apples
- Divide batter into 12 muffins. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon topping and sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 350º for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.